Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day Reflection

My neighborhood this morning, every house has a flag

Today is a special day, one of great importance and we should all take a few minutes to remember our veterans and others who served to make our country great.
My blogging style is usually pictures with captions, I am not a great writer, but today I want to share yesterday's experience with you.  
I have never felt so emotional over Memorial Day as I did yesterday. The Pastors of our church dedicated the service to all the Vets who attend our church.  As we arrived and took our seats the pianist was playing "Onward Christian Soldiers".   Then the Women's Ensemble sang "Armed Forces - The Pride of America" which consisted of all the songs for every branch of the military.  Right then, tears welled up in my eyes.
The Pastors then called all the WWII vets to come up front and tell where they served.  We have seven WWII vets who are part of our congregation.  One of them was a Marine who was at Iwo Jima.  As they told about their service you could hear their voices crack with emotion.  They were all awarded with flag pins to honor their service to our country.
Next the Pastors called up all the Vets who served during the Korean War, Viet Nam, Gulf Coast and any other service.  They all told of their service to their country, and were also awarded flag pins. My dad came to mind right then as he served his country for twenty years in the Air Force.  And last the Pastors had all vets who have served stand up, they too, were honored and give flag pins. 
We had a congregation member give a presentation of his service to help the Military raise money for injured Vets.  He organized "The Ride For Sempi Fi" last October.  Twenty two people went with him on bikes and rode from Mesa to Camp Pennington.  An incredible story.
The Pastor's message for the day was "We Shall Never Forget".  A very moving sermon about how Memorial Day was thought to have begun.
At the end of the sermon, the pianist and the music director played "The Stars and Stripes Forever".  Then the prayers were offered, you could hear people softly crying all through the church.  I am sure there wasn't a dry eye in the place. Finally, "Taps" were played on the trumpet.  Our final hymn was  "God Bless America".  I could hardly sing I was so choked up.
As we were leaving the Marine tapped my husband on the shoulder and whispered in his ear
"You better watch out, I might try to steal her".  I left church feeling uplifted, yet humbled.
I woke up this morning and looked down our street at all the flags and took a moment to thank God for all our men and women who have fought to make our country great and those who are currently serving to preserve our liberties and freedoms.  God Bless You.

1 comment:

Holly said...

I'm so happy to hear that Memorial Day in Grace's world was so uplifting and that you shared this experience with us. Thanks Grace...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails